About

About2018-09-24T15:29:21+00:00

Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS®

The nation’s first real estate association, founded in 1858.

Established in 1858, GBBR was the nation’s first real estate association. A founding member of the National Association of REALTORS® and Maryland REALTORS®, GBBR has strived to promote the highest ethical standards and professional practices in the real estate industry for more than 160 years.

GBBR serves 4,500 members in the Greater Baltimore area. We provide training, public and professional education classes and workshops, arbitration and mediation services, and works in the legislative and regulatory arenas to assure that laws and policies benefit its members and preserve property owners’ rights.

Our Mission

The Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® is an advocate for the business and professional interests of its members, the practice of high ethical standards in the transfer of real property, and preserving private property rights.

Historical Time-line

2018
GBBR Celebrates 160 years of Service

GBBR marks another important anniversary milestone,“Celebrating 160 years of Service to the Baltimore Real Estate Community”.  Special acknowledgements are coordinated throughout the year in tandem with annual events, cumulating in the REALTOR® Fair, featuring unprecedented member registration pricing and the launch of GBBR’s new logo and website.  Additionally, the GBBR Charitable Foundation commemorates its 20th anniversary, with a Capital Campaign drive and Non-Gala fundraising event. The GBBR Charitable Foundation funded two additional $20,000 scholarships through College Bound for local Baltimore City and Baltimore County students attending four-year institutions.

2017
GBBR Charitable Foundation funds two additional $20,000 scholarships

The GBBR Charitable Foundation funded two additional $20,000 scholarships through College Bound for local Baltimore City and Baltimore County students attending four-year institutions.

2016
GBBR hosts the State of the Baltimore Real Estate Market event

GBBR hosted the State of the Baltimore Real Estate Market event presenting an overview of the local commercial and residential real estate market, and the changing legislative and economic landscapes. The event featured the Baltimore County Executive, Baltimore City Mayor, and the Maryland Secretary of Commerce as guest speakers. The GBBR Charitable Foundation began its partnership with the College Bound Foundation. The GBBRCF worked with College Bound to choose two very deserving students from local Baltimore City and Baltimore County high schools to receive $5,000 per year for four years. The GBBCF funded both scholarships. Each student was awarded a total of $20,000 for their college educations.

2015
GBBR ranks #4 on Baltimore Business Journal's largest associations list

The association was recognized in placement as #4 on the Baltimore Business Journal’s largest associations list, ranked by Baltimore-area membership, in June 2015.

2014
GBBR and MAR welcome NAR to Baltimore

GBBR served as co-host with the Maryland Association of REALTORS® to welcome the National Association of REALTORS®’ Association Executive Institute conference to Baltimore.

2013
GBBR celebrates its first official Member Appreciation Week

GBBR celebrated its first official Member Appreciation Week, and hosted a series of “Town Hall” meetings in different geographical locations across the city and county, to re-engage its membership during a campaign named “New Face, New Place… On the Move with GBBR.”  Additionally, GBBR moved its headquarters to its current location at 1954 Greenspring Drive, Suite 100, Timonium, Maryland and hosted an office warming open house event that was attended by over 200 guests.

2012
New location

The leadership team at GBBR began the search for a new location for the association’s headquarters, to better serve changing membership needs.

2011
GBBR hosts free home buying workshops designed especially for the Russian-speaking and Spanish-speaking public.

GBBR’s Equal Opportunities & Fair Housing Committee, through grants from the National Association of REALTORS® Housing Opportunities Program and  Diversity Program, hosted free home buying workshops designed especially for the Russian-speaking and Spanish-speaking public.  To supplement cultural diversity outreach, GBBR published a resourceful guide that outlined the process of purchasing a home, available in six different languages including English, Chinese, French, Korean, Russian and Spanish.  REALTOR® members were encouraged to share the guide with non-English speaking buyers to assist them in understanding the parts of a real estate transaction that are unique to our country.  GBBR hosted the 25th Anniversary REALTOR® Fair at the Martin’s West event facility, catering to more than 700 attendees for a one-day extravaganza of trade show excitement!

2010
GBBR's Membership Committee hosts a Family Fun Day at Oregon Ridge Park

GBBR’s Membership Committee hosted a Family Fun Day at the ever-popular Oregon Ridge Park, a picnic event designed for summer fun with friends and family.  In conjunction with the Baltimore City Commission on Historic and Architectural Preservation, GBBR worked to provide MRIS® with historical data and tax records needed to modify the roughly 86,000 tax records within their database for Baltimore.  This feat allowed the multiple list system to display historic district information, a great benefit to real estate professionals as well as future homeowners.

2009
The GBBR Board of Directors launches scholarship program for members interested in enrolling in the Maryland Association of REALTORS® (MAR) Leadership Academy

GBBR’s Political Action Committee hosted the REALTOR® Idol Contest, an innovative RPAC fundraiser featuring dinner and karaoke at The River Watch Restaurant & Marina Deck in Middle River, Maryland.  The GBBR Charitable Foundation hosted its first “Bags for Baltimore” Designer Handbag Bingo Event (a sell-out!) at the Tall Cedars hall in Parkville, Maryland, raising $12,000 to support projects and programs throughout the year.

2008
The Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® marks 150th anniversary as leader in real estate

The year-long theme of the sesquicentennial celebration was “Leading the Way.”  The association sponsored a series of events in honor of the achievement, culminating with a major Gala at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown Baltimore on April 5, 2008.  More than 500 guests attended the event, which also raised more than $145,000 for the Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® Charitable Foundation endowment fund.

2007
GBBR members raise 36 percent over goal for REALTORS® Political Action Committee (RPAC)

The funds enabled the GBBR RPAC to support a massive communications effort aimed at local elected officials, helping to successfully protect real estate services from additional sales tax legislation.  The REALTORS®’ collective voice was heard at a rally at the state capitol in Annapolis, Maryland, and both current and potential Maryland homeowners received the benefit.

2006
Due to continued rapid growth in membership, GBBR moves headquarters to Bellona Avenue, Lutherville, Maryland

The move allowed GBBR to double its office space, classrooms and conference rooms, and provide an expanded office area for the GBBR Federal Credit Union.  GBBR was named the third largest trade association in the Baltimore metropolitan area by the Baltimore Business Journal in December 2006.

2005
GBBR Charitable Foundation makes major pledge of dollars and support for the construction of Our Playground at Stadium Place

The GBBR Charitable Foundation made a major pledge of dollars and in-kind support for the construction of Our Playground at Stadium Place, a community designed one-acre playground built between April and July 2005 on a  portion of the former Memorial Stadium site in Baltimore City.  The playground was the first of its kind developed in Baltimore City.

2004
GBBR and GBBR Charitable Foundation expand efforts to support the Adopt-A-Classroom program

GBBR in conjunction with the GBBR Charitable Foundation expanded its efforts to support the Adopt-A-Classroom program, a nationally-renown non-profit organization which channels donation funds directly into purchasing supplies and educational materials needed in public schools. Since its inaugural year working with the program, the Foundation has adopted over 100 classrooms within the Baltimore area, enriching the local classroom experience and increasing both teachers’ and students’ chances for success.

2003
GBBR creates the innovative SCOPE Project

GBBR teamed with the Baltimore City government and private foundations to create the innovative SCOPE Project  (Selling City Owned Properties Efficiently), a streamlined and industry-friendly approach to marketing city-owned, vacant properties to investors and homeowners alike.

2001
GBBR receives HOPE Award

GBBR earned national recognition by receiving the HOPE Award for its media/public awareness campaign “Know Housing Fraud When You See It.” The project targeted educating first-time homebuyers on ways to avoid being victimized in fraudulent real estate transactions.

1999
The Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® Charitable Foundation, Inc. is formed

The Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® Charitable Foundation, Inc. was formed to support and engage in charitable, civic, educational and humanitarian activities and programs designed to improve the quality of life in neighborhoods within the Baltimore metropolitan area.

1997
GBBR launches its first website

GBBR moved its headquarters to a new location in Baltimore County at 1306 Bellona Avenue, Lutherville, Maryland.  GBBR launched its first website, www.RealtorsBaltimore.com.

1996
GBBR opens a satellite office

GBBR opens a satellite office in Ellicott City, Maryland, to better serve members working in the western region of the metropolitan area.

1990
1980s - 1990s

This time period included many notable highlights. GBBR’s membership reached 5,000 persons, making the Board one of the largest local real estate boards in the nationThe GBBR School of Real Estate was created, which still currently offers pre-licensing education courses for those that wish to become a real estate agent in the state of Maryland. The GBBR Political Action Committee was established to unite efforts to advocate for members in the local and state-level legislative arenas. GBBR began holding both residential and commercial trade show conventions at the Baltimore Convention Center. Additionally, GBBR took a lead position in having settlement costs reduced in property transactions, and supported lead paint-related legislation enacted by the Maryland General Assembly.

1982
GBBR allows all REALTOR® members board voting rights

GBBR allows all REALTOR® members to maintain membership –salespersons and brokers alike– that met membership requirements, as well as allowing them to hold Board voting rights.

1976
GBBR first local organization to sign "Equal Opportunity in Housing"

GBBR was the first local organization to sign the “Equal Opportunity in Housing” statement with HUD.

1974
Board changes name to GBBR

The Board changed its name from the Real Estate Board of Baltimore to the Greater Baltimore Board of REALTORS® (GBBR).  This rebranding provided better identification with the National Association of REALTORS®’ trademarks and enforcement of their Code of Ethics.

1972
The board moves to Mount Royal Avenue

The Board moved its headquarters to 1501 W. Mount Royal Avenue in Baltimore City. The Central Maryland Multiple List Service (MARIT) occupied part of the building.

1967
Maryland Association of REALTORS® (MAR) moves to Annapolis

The Maryland Association of REALTORS® (MAR) moved to a new office in Annapolis, Maryland.  Before then, the Baltimore Board’s location had housed MAR’s activities and records.

1965
The Board extends non-discriminatory prohibitions

During the Johnson administration, the Board initiated the procedure to extend non-discriminatory prohibitions to all federally funded institutions.

1958
Baltimore American and Baltimore Sun newspapers begin publishing real estate sections in Sunday editions

The Board supported landlord rights by advocating for an ordinance requiring tenants to give adequate notice to landlords before moving, as well as clean up the property and return all keys to the owner of the property.  With the Board’s encouragement, both the Baltimore American newspaper and the Baltimore Sun newspaper began publishing separate real estate sections in their Sunday editions.

1951
The Real Estate Board of Baltimore moves to Saint Paul St

The Real Estate Board of Baltimore moved its headquarters from 7 Saint Paul Street to 7 E. Lexington Street in Baltimore City.

1940
During WWII

The Board named rent control policies as a “necessary evil” during the World War II, but continued to battle against the unjust laws until the Federal law was finally repealed.

1938
Maryland Association of REALTORS® (MAR) is formed to enact real estate license laws

Twenty-five real estate brokers from Baltimore City and several counties met to create an organization to lobby for enactment of real estate license laws. This organization was called the Maryland Real Estate Association (now known as the Maryland Association of REALTORS® or MAR).

1930
1920s-50s

The Board supported and advocated for construction projects such as the Howard Street extension, the Franklin Street Viaduct, the creation of the Bay Bridge, the building of Memorial Stadium and the building of the Civic Center.

1925
Multiple Listing Bureau is formed

The Board formed a multiple listing bureau.

1918
The Board moves to bring all business related to real estate together

The Board began a movement to bring all lines of business related to real estate under one organization.

1917
During WWI

The Board opposed rent control and established a Fair Rent Committee. To honor local World War I hero George B. Redwood, the Board proposed and successfully endorsed the change of German Street to the name of Redwood Street in Baltimore City.

1916
The dawn of MLS

A multiple listing service of properties for sale was organized, and sponsored by the Real Estate Board of Baltimore.

1915
New name

The organization changed its name to Real Estate Board of Baltimore.

1914
New leader

The Baltimore Board re-organized again, under the leadership of  B. Howard Richards, and leased office space at 15 E. Fayette Street, in Baltimore City.

1913
The National Association of Real Estate Exchange (NAR) adopts a strict Code of Ethics

The National Association of Real Estate Exchange (now NAR) adopted a strict Code of Ethics.  It was noted that the Baltimore Board played a key role in establishing the original concepts, which were evident in the Baltimore Board’s by-laws.

1909
Real Estate Exchange of Baltimore grows to 44 members

A pamphlet published by the Real Estate Exchange of Baltimore noted the growth of the Baltimore Board; there were now 44 members total, including two remaining from the original 11 founding members.

1908
The Baltimore Board is recognized as founding member of National Association of Real Estate Exchange

The Baltimore Board was recognized as a founding member of the National Association of Real Estate Exchange — now known as the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) — the largest trade association in the country.

1902
Reorganizing the Board

A re-organization of the Baltimore Board took place.

1858
Baltimore Board of Real Estate Brokers and Property Agents is founded

Founded as the Baltimore Board of Real Estate Brokers and Property Agents, the organization was first formed to ensure the ethical practices of city brokers, and enhance the value of real estate.  There were 11 members total; William Warfield served as President and Samuel Snowden served as the Secretary-Treasurer.